Dog dies, Papillion Recreation Center to be tested for toxic blooms

By on September 23, 2019

All summer, health warnings have been issued around the country concerning toxic blue-green algae, including in Nebraska.

A number of lakes in the area have tested positive for the algae which can kill children and animals, causing state officials to be vocal about staying safe on and near the water.

As the Omaha-World-Herald reported here, the water at Papillion’s Walnut Creek will be tested as reports of a dog dying after visiting the recreation center became known. City officials said no blue-green algae was present at the time of the dog’s death, but conditions can change quickly. Reports of something that looked like the algae surfaced on social media, along with details of the dog’s treatment at a local emergency vet, prompting the water tests.

Stay safe on or around the water and pay attention to warnings from the state if you’re headed out to the lake before the cold comes.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply